The Toy Library offers a wide range of play items that help child development in the key early years to low income families. With a wide variety of toys to choose from, we focus on age-appropriate play, encouraging activities in preparation for school years, including story times and educational play. Educational toys can help to improve numeracy and literacy skills through fun activity, as well as help parents develop the way they bond with their children through play and activities
The Toy Library is run on Tuesday mornings and Friday mornings at Merstham Toy Library, and on Friday afternoons at Welcare House in Redhill. Stock is carefully selected for educational play values, well-maintained, cleaned and safety checked. We ask for a small fee of £2 per family for annual membership or £5 for pre-school membership, with borrowing costs at 25p per toy per week (maximum of two toys per household at anytime). We believe that by charging these very small amounts we are able to help families budget and encourage responsibility for the items they are borrowing. The fees also cover any damage or replacements required.
The key benefits of the service to local families include:
- Accessible and affordable, age-specific toys, crucial for the health and development of children, in a supportive and friendly environment within walking distance of home
- Parents can be signposted to other key family support services provided by Welcare and other community facilities
- Avoidance of potential debt for parents through over-spending on toys
- At Merstham Library we can encourage the use of books and other services offered by the main library
- Many using the toy library are living in small apartments so have limited room to store toys
Joining the Toy Library
Joining is easy, you simply need identification which shows your current address e.g. driving licence or a utility bill, and to pay the small fee. For more information of days and times Toy Library runs please see our current programme.