Volunteer Child Mentors – Inner London
Closing date: 01 Apr 2018
A volunteer Child Mentor meets one-to-one with a child to engage in positive and fun activities. By giving a few hours every two weeks, a Mentor is able to make a considerable, positive impact on a child’s life.
- To mentor the child providing them with mature emotional support and an opportunity to explore new activities and widen their aspirations
- To help build the child’s interpersonal skills and confidence through social and educational activities
- To give encouragement and support
- To attend the twice yearly volunteer get togethers
- To ensure you engage fully with the project and maintain records and reports on your activities
- To operate within all relevant policies and guidelines, including health and safety, equal opportunities, confidentiality, safeguarding regulations
- To follow advice from line manager and engage in regular supervision
- Understanding and enthusiasm for Welcare and its mission
- Effective communication skills
- Reliability and emotional maturity
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- A good grasp of boundaries and the ability to work in a friendly yet professional capacity
- Ability to work independently
- An understanding of the importance of safeguarding
- Approachable and caring
- Good recording and observation skills
- The ability to problem solve and an openness to exploring different approaches to motivating and encouraging young people
- Excellent time keeping
- Emotional maturity
Volunteers should be able to commit to a minimum of 3 hours every two weeks for one year. All volunteers will receive full training and must commit to attend a minimum of 24 hours training over a 12 week period. View training dates here.
We will be contacting applicants on a rolling basis and inviting them to a meet with us to talk in depth about the roles and volunteering with Welcare. Download our volunteer application form below and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please apply at any time up until noon on the day of the deadline.